Sunday, January 26, 2014

First project of the year

Technically, this isn't a costume sewing project, but it is vintage inspired. For Christmas, my wonderful husband gave me money to shop for nice, cold weather clothes. I've only just recently discovered my "style" and have started a nice little collection of vintage inspired warm weather clothes, but was very much lacking for cold weather.
I happened to come upon the cutest sweater at Banana Republic, but alas, no skirt or pants to go with it. After tirelessly searching for something perfect, I decided that I must make a skirt. Not just any skirt would do. I remembered seeing my friend, Lauren, of American Duchess Shoes wearing the most adorable looking skirt in her ads for her Clairmont, 1930's style shoes. I asked her about it and she replied that she had made it many years ago and still had the pattern. She graciously gave me the pattern, but I had to promise to lend it back to her if she ever decided she would like to make another. So, I of course gave her my word and away I went searching for the perfect fabric.
I thought for sure that the search would take some time, but was pleasantly surprised when at the first fabric shop I searched had not only one, but two possibilities. Mill End Fabrics in Carson City rarely fails to disappoint me. The first fabric I found was a dark, wool and rayon blend that had the exact wine color as my sweater. I was ready to settle on that fabric, but needed to satisfy my curiosity of wondering if there might be a more perfect fit as I was not sold on the idea of such a dark fabric for this sweater. So, around the aisles I went and was just about to leave when I saw it. At just 42 inches left on the bolt when the pattern calls for 2 3/8 yards, I had no idea if I could make it work, but it was too perfect not to try.
             
                 

I carefully squeezed the pattern pieces in to fit on the bit of fabric, alternating them tops to bottoms even though the pattern instructions called to have them lined up tops to tops. I also needed to pin the godets onto the fabric at an angle.


It just fit! I could hardly believe it. And this is what was left after cutting the pieces...


The pattern went together fairly easy and quickly. Thanks again to Lauren for giving me the pattern. I love my new skirt! It looks perfect with my Clairmont's :)








6 comments:

  1. Awesome job! You look great! The skirt first perfectly and is very flattering. :-) I'm glad you promised to lend it back to me, because seeing your version, now I may need to make this one again too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally, Lauren! It's yours. I really wanted to only borrow it. I recently bought a vintage skirt pattern you might be interested in, also. Stay tuned ;)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your kind words, Lauren :D

      Delete
  2. Your skirt looks perfect! I love how you combined your modern top with a modern skirt patterns and yet you look so 1930-ish. :) Earlier this fall I made a skirt using the same pattern you and Lauren used, and too:

    http://ajoyfulhandmaiden.blogspot.com/2013/10/modern-mccalls-meets-1930s-inspired.html

    Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finally had the chance to view your blog, Cheri. I love the buttons! I think I need to add some to mine. I also need to figure out why my pleats/godets are not laying flat :/

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the compliment :D

    ReplyDelete